I would be remiss if I didn’t give you the same tips I use when vetting Rochester roofing contractors.
How do you know you are getting the best qualified Rochester roofing contractor? One way is you can ask your family and friends or you can check online or look in your local yellow pages.
OK, you had two or three contractors come out to your house, how do you know which one to pick? The first question I would ask is:
1. How long have you been in the roofing business in Rochester?
I would think they would need a few years under their belts to establish sound business practices and have a good understanding of the roofing systems.
2. Do you have a permanent place of business?
The closer to your home or town the better, have them provide a tax ID.
3. Ask to see copies of their liability insurance with their business name on it.
A professional Rochester roofer will always carry copies of their insurance and workers compensation papers.
4. Read the written estimate well, on it, should be an estimated date when the project will start and completed.
(Do not pay in full up front). Schedule when payments are made, usually as stages of work are completed. Make sure you understand the warranty and understand what voids it.
5. Call or go online to the Better Business Bureau website to check for any complaints.
You can also ask the contractor for references and call those customers to determine if they were satisfied.
6. Don’t make price the determining factor of which company to pick.
Price is important, but let it be the tie breaker. Spend the time making calls and looking over the written estimate and contracts. Feel confident in your final decision.
7. Don’t pay the last installment until the job is complete.
At most, at the end of the job only the materials should be paid. Inspect the work once it is completed and get a copy of all the necessary paperwork.
8. Ask about roofing warranty paperwork.
Professional Rochester roofing contractors typically offer full warranties for new roof and roof replacements, but a warranty for repairs is unusual. Always get a copy of the warranty information once the job has been completed.
9. Get multiple quotes.
Not all roofing contractors are the same. Get multiple quotes from different Rochester roof contractors and compare the details.
10. Be Proactive and perform preventative maintenance.
You are responsible for conducting preventative maintenance on your home. Look for damaged or missing shingles, and replace any that are not satisfactory. Check the flashing and underlining it should always be intact and in good shape. Periodic checking can reduce the chances of needing major repair or replacement.