Do-it-yourself roof repair or installation is usually not an option for most New York homeowners. Most Rochester roofers offer professional systems and service so that you can live comfortably in your home without concern for leaky ceilings, inferior roofing materials or incorrect installations.
But finding skilled roofers can be challenging. If you hire the wrong company, you may end up spending more on poor quality workmanship because of the added cost to correct any mistakes by inexperienced roofers.
Expect to devote time and research into finding the right roofing contractor for protecting your loved ones and your most valuable asset – your home.
How to Find an Rochester NY Roofer
There are a few methods you can use to find reliable and dependable roofing companies. Online yellow pages will help you find Rochester roofing contractors with the expertise to repair, remodel or install home roofing. Seek out recommendations from friends, family members or neighbors because any referrals they make will be based on their own personal experience with the roofing company. Trade associations also provide listings of licensed contractors usually by city or zip code to make it easy to find expert professionals in the industry.
How to Interview Roofing Companies
After searching the yellow pages, requesting personal referrals or reviewing contractor association listings, you will next need to choose at least three roofing companies to interview. In your meeting with potential companies, there are a few actions you should take:
- Ask for a copy of contractor’s license – New York law requires that all roofing contractors have a license. Construction companies undergo professional written testing and criminal history checks. They must also purchase a bond. Licensing and bonding protects homeowners because if something goes wrong, the Department of Consumer Affairs Trust Fund may be able to act to recover any losses due to improper conduct.
- Review contractor insurance coverage and request certificate copies – all licensed contractors must also purchase general liability and workers compensation insurance in order to maintain their state licensing.
- Request references – ask potential roofers for references and then call them to learn more about past experience, service and quality.
- Learn about company materials and quality – every contractor uses different materials and brands. Ask for information about their preferred products for tiles, shingles and underlayment. You want to make sure that only the best quality materials are used since your new roof should be built to last for many years.
- Company guarantees – does the contractor offer any written guarantees or warranties for their workmanship?
- Get everything in writing – it is vital that you secure written proposals or estimates prior to hiring a contractor. Request estimates and work time frames in writing so that you are aware of how soon job will be completed and at what cost.
After interviews, you may contact local licensing authorities to check licensing status and if there are any complaints on file. The Better Business Bureau also provides resources to learn about consumer complaints and local company ratings.
Choosing the right Rochester NY roofing contractor is an essential part of any home installation or repair. Having a clear understanding of what to expect from any roofer you hire is vital to ensuring that the job will be completed to your satisfaction.